Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Depressurizing

Despite my retirement, I discovered this past year that I am still quite susceptible to getting myself overstressed. Building our dream house has been a wonderful project, but I underestimated its emotional toll. First we moved out of our Vancouver house, packed up, got our children settled in new places and said goodbye to the community where we had lived most of our lives.

Then we moved to a tiny one bathroom house on the lovely property where the new house was being built. We were over-crowded with housemates, visitors, workman and possessions stacked up to the ceiling. My involvement in the construction process became virtually full-time, especially when our contractor’s wife was hospitalized for months and he thus needed time off to look after his four young children. Although this recent period was far from the most stressful time in my life, it was nonetheless another storm of action and emotion which left me exhausted.

When we push too hard constantly, we get wound up tighter and tighter. The faster and harder we work the further behind it seems that we get. The only solution is to let go, slow down, and to depressurize (like a deep sea diver slowly coming to the surface and adjusting to less atmospheric pressure).

When I can find inner tranquility and calm, then I can see my priorities clearly. Although I will always have 1001 more things to do, when I focus each day on the most important jobs, everything else also works out fine. There is actually plenty of time available for fun and relaxation.

Those who are unable to slow down voluntarily place themselves into danger of serious trouble, whether physical, emotional or social. They become obsessive, compulsive, and driven. They often crash and burn. Often they find illegitimate ways to escape from this fatiguing pressure, such as through drugs, pharmaceuticals and alcohol.

The key to maintaining our equilibrium in stressful times is to stop completely for a time of recharging before our psyche over-exerts and becomes destabilized. Our nervous system, emotions and digestion are quite susceptible to overheating. Our minds cannot focus when the clutter of activity builds relentlessly without ever a significant time of rest.

Long term efficiency and health requires keeping our entire being in top shape. Regular daily rest and recreation help greatly. But sometimes we need to get away from the rush for an extended shut down in order to recharge our batteries.

Depressurizing is what is what is required.

No comments: